product designer

Eco

Slip casting plant pots

Now that the mould I created last week is dry, it is time to begin the slip casting process. Having really liked working with parian last year, I was pretty sure that I wanted to use it again. So I began slip casting away! 

Before getting started, I gave the mould an extra clean to ensure any dust and excess clay was fully removed before casting as any any imperfections would be transfer. Although, from past experience I find that the first cast actually helps to lift away any small pieces of dirt that are difficult to get to otherwise.

Anyway, I first began by adjitating the parian slip by mixing it with a drill. Once mixed, I poured the slip into the mould and waited a good 10-12 minutes before tipping the mould upside down. (The longer you wait before pouring out the excess slip- determines how thick the cast will be) 

I then left the cast to set for approximately two hours, before removing it from the mould. The cast itself actually turned out pretty well- for a first attempt. However, although it looks pretty well finished, I am somewhat doubtful of its ability to withstand lots of handling when inserting/ removing it from the frame or planting seeds and removing crops. Perhaps the next cast I make, i will leave the slip to set for longer to make the thickness of the plant pot a lot more sturdier. 

Although, things did go wrong when it came to removing the holes on either side of the cast. I feel this can be improved next time by waiting for the casts to harden slightly before cutting away the material.

Even though my slip cast didn't work out very well in the end, I'm hopeful and confident that these improvements will make for a better cast.

 Tried and failed slip cast

Tried and failed slip cast

Rebecca Williamson